Early History
The land on which the course is built was part of the estates of Embley Park dating back to AD 849, when King Alfred was Lord of the Manor. The estate changed hands a number of times during the following centuries, until in 1825 it was purchased by William Edward Nightingale, who rebuilt the house , much as it appears today, and this was where Florence Nightingale spent much of her childhood.

scroll down for more

Florence Nightingale
Florence Nightingale claimed she had received her first divine calling from God in 1837 at Embley whilst she sat underneath a tree in the grounds, prompting a strong desire to devote her life to the service of others. After her death in London in 1910 her body was brought by train back to Romsey and her coffin carried from the station to the church at East Wellow where she is buried.

scroll down for more

On May 1st 2016, Wellow Golf Club celebrated a milestone in its history… 25years since the course opened back in 1991.


Wellow is still owned and run by the Windell family. They remain committed to increasing golf participation and promoting the game from grassroots, as well as improving the course and its facilities year after year

The Windell Family moved to Ryedown farm (now the golf course) in 1965. The farm consisted of mixed dairy and arable, growing wheat, barley and potatoes. After many years farming the land, a proposal was put forward to change the current 200 acres of farmland into a golf course for the local communities. Wilf Wiltshire was asked to design the course and when it was finally ready, the clubhouse was opened in 1992 by an old friend of the club, former Ryder Cup Player John Jacobs. The land was grassed down 2 years prior to work actually having begun and once they were ready, fairways and greens were cut out and the golf began.